In 1986, CALLERLAB introduced a procedure for 'LOST SQUARES'. It was approved with some small changes in 1987 and reads as follows:
The following method of returning to dancing once a square has broken down, shall be a uniform method to be taught to all dancers for class programs through all approved CALLERLAB dance programs:
- Return to home position as soon as possible.
- The head ladies will take their corner's hand and head couples will back out to form lines at the sides of the square.
- On the caller's command "EVERYBODY go forward and back", they enter into the dance pattern.
- Recognize that a number of sets have broken down and have formed lines at the sides of the hall.
- Place the dancing squares into lines that are in a normal boy/girl arrangement.
- Give the command "EVERYBODY go forward and back" in a bold voice which is the command for the broken squares to enter into the dance pattern.